Mission with Through the Roof
When we go on mission we believe that:
God is in Charge
- You are not taking God to this place; rather, God is taking you! (Genesis 12:1-3; Psalm 139:1-10)
- God has been at work in this place long before you arrived.
- God has a plan for this community, this people, and each person (Jeremiah 29:11; Timothy 2:3-5, 2 Peter 3:9).
- Follow God’s lead, not yours.
- God will always be with you (Matthew 28:20b, Romans 8:38-39; Hebrews 13:5).
To Be Open
- An open heart is free to be filled by the Holy Spirit and overflow with love (John 14:15-17; Acts 13:2-4; Romans 5:3-5).
- An open heart is free to be broken by the injustices and poverty of the world (Deuteronomy 15:7-8; Psalm 9:18, Psalm 82:3-4; Galatians 2:10).
- An open hand is ready to receive.
- An open hand is a sign of good will and humility (Galatians 5:22).
- An open hand cannot clutch a clock, a schedule, or a stereotype.
- Be like Jesus. Walk as Jesus walked (1 John 2:6; Matthew 5:1-16; John 15:1-14).
- Be human beings not “human doings”! (1 Thessalonians 5:11)
- Focus on people, not just on the task (1 John 3:18).
- Work on building relationships, not monuments (Romans 12:9-15).
- Take a deep breath when things don’t start or end on time; there are more important things in life than sticking to a schedule.
- Be flexible – things will rarely go as you planned.
- Learn from your hosts; honour them and God by serving them (John 13:12-17).
- Find out what your hosts pray for, and commit to praying for that, too (James 5:16).
- Accept the leadership of your hosts. You are not the one in charge.
- Practice humility (Luke 22:24-27; James 4:10).
- There are many ways to do things; yours is only one way, and it may not be right for this time or place.
- Be adaptable – try new things, set aside biases, and work on fitting into the culture.
Through the Roof is recognised by Global Connections as operating under the Code of Best Practice in Short-Term Mission 2015